Saturday 20 September 2014

ARTICLES - GARY BARLOW Top Of The Pops Magazine, May 1997

Top Of The Pops Magazine, May 1997

He's shed two stone and mixes with the likes of Madonna and Elton John, but left his old manager by sending him a letter! So what's the new Gary B really like?

T.P.: So, why such a long gap between Forever Love and Love Won't Wait?

G.B.: I was re-inventing the whole thing! The album was almost finished when I was given the opportunity to go to America and work with the biggest producers and writers in the world, people I've respected since I was a kid. I'm a few months behind schedule, but I'm glad I went.

T.P.: And does the album sound like Gary Barlow?

G.B.: Open Road has my voice and my style running through it. It has an acoustic quality - but it's not just me and my piano! This is the type of record I could have made with Take That - it could have been our fourth album. People listen to it and say it sounds like the boys are on there. But I keep up with the mood of music at the time, which is fresh and young now. It's a great time for English pop music. It's gonna be a good year.

T.P.: You're about to start over. Again. How does it feel?

G.B.: I'm under a huge amount of pressure to get my act together and I'm worried that people have forgotten me, forgotten Take That. A new phenomenon's come along with the Spice Girls and everything's changed. When I released Forever Love last summer it was to say, "I'm here, I'm working, this is how it looks now and this is how it sounds." Also, I had my fan base just where I wanted it to be. The risk involved in waiting to release Love Won't Wait was that the fan base would lose interest. I've not been able to check the fans are still there, but I'm hoping.

T.P.: Love Won't Wait is a Madonna song. Why release someone else's tune?

G.B.: The emphasis on the album isn't on my songwriting. I don't care who's written the song as long as it's a brilliant record. I want people to say I've a good voice - they already know I'm a songwriter.

T.P.: How does one 'acquire' a Madonna song?

G.B.: It's very exciting innit? I had a phone call from the head of her record label saying he had spoken to Madonna about me. He told Madonna he wanted 'this english guy' to sing her song saying, "You probably won't have heard of him, he was in a band called Take That." Apparently Madonna said, "Aw, I've seen their videos." I was made up about it until I thought, "Ooh, I hope she hasn't seen me dancing!"

T.P.: Robbie's chart return coincides with yours. Again. We're not up for round two, are we?

G.B.: Nah, we've now worked it between his team and mine that Robbie's single is released a couple of weeks earlier. We're supposed to be here to make people's lives better, cheer 'em up by giving them our records. But here we are making war - it's absolutely ridiculous.

T.P.: You recently left the manager who guided you through the Take That era. Why?

G.B.: When I left the band I thought everything would continue with Nigel, but nobody was keeping up with my vision for the album. I desperately wanted to go to America - there's a big future out there if we can get it. Nigel wasn't interested, and I realised I had to go. He's brilliant with new bands, but I'm at a different career stage and a pop set-up isn't enough.

T.P.: Was it a friendly split?

G.B.: No. I really wanted to go in and say, "I'm sorry, it's not working out," but I didn't. I sent a letter. That's the only thing I'm disappointed with myself about. Nigel did a brilliant job with Take That, but sometimes loyalty is an obstacle. I had to go, so I did.

T.P.: Your new manager, Simon Fuller, also manages the Spice Girls. Did that have anything to do with it?!

G.B.: Simon was the reason I left Nigel, although I hadn't met him at the time. But he's had years of success in America and not just with the Spice Girls. He's used to working with all the people I've been working with on this album here and in America. He's perfect. He's a lovely guy, too.

T.P.: The then unknown Spice Girls' Wannabe knocked Forever Love off No 1. Were you angry?

G.B.: I think Wannabe is just a novelty record that everybody loves. It's been No 1 everywhere and I can understand why. My mum's into the Spice Girls. SHe said to me ages ago, 'They're gonna be big!' and I was like, 'Nah, I don't think so!'

T.P.: Now. Been working on the old diet, haven't you?

G.B.: Ha ha. I'm at my perfect weight now. I was 13 stone in Take That but now I'm down to 11. It was a conscious effort to get my weight down. I've cut down on me food and I exercise more, I used to eat six chocolate bars a day easy. Two spoons of sugar in coffee, always three-course meals at night. The best food in the world is really bad for you. And I love it.

T.P.: Will the new shape last?

G.B.: It'll be interesting to see how long I can keep it going! When that sweet menu arrives it's hard to say, 'I'll give that strawberry cream a miss.' I was feeling really big again after Christmas. It was 'orrible.

T.P.: How important is your image to your career?

G.B.: I want to feel confident about the way I look and I never did in Take That. I can't go out feeling shy and unable to look people in the eyes. I don't want to wear clothes that make me look slim. I'm working at it instead. I now have the confidence to wear what I like, I'm able to stand up there and feel proud of it all. I now feel the best I've ever felt about myself.

T.P.: But you hate having your picture taken.

G.B.: I want people to have a certain picture of me in their head. I don't really want my picture walking down the Kings Road looking rough. I don't want my fans to see that. I want to look the way they want me to look. Suave and sophisticated? Phrrrrt! Maybe not quite that good!

T.P.: You have a reputation for being a big tight...

G.B.: Hmmmm I understand the value of money. To do that you've got to be careful with your money - but then go out and have a real blow out, just buy loads of things! I went shopping about two months ago and I nearly cleared Dolce & Gabbana, I tell ya. They've got lovely stuff in there. I'm into clothes now.

T.P.: Are you still a workaholic?

G.B.: For the first time I've had the time to relax as well as work. I've been watching lots of TV - I love Eastenders. I watch all the episodes then the omnibus on Sunday. I really want to be on This Morning with Richard and Judy, who are brilliant, and I've asked to do the Clive James Show too. I'd refuse to sing with Margarita Pracatan though! (*GBDL Members: read the transcript from The Clive James Show for an interesting revelation!)

T.P.: Ahem. Any non-couch potato interests?

G.B.: I'm into geography. I have some amazing atlases and travel books - I could be the next Judith Chalmers. I fancy going to the Galapagos Islands and doing an hour-long turtle documentary. We went all over the world with Take That, but we couldn't look around because it was difficult leaving hotels without being followed around. Travel absolutely fascinates me now.

T.P.: Will you be given enough time for sightseeing this time?

G.B.: Oh yeah, I'm in charge now! Let it be known - I'm the boss!

T.P.: There isn't much about you and Dawn in the gossip columns these days.

G.B.: We don't advertise our relationship and I like to keep it that way. We're not Patsy and Liam. It's hard enough to keep a relationship together, without the pressures of being watched.

T.P.: But you didn't go to the Brits together?

G.B.: I often go out on my own. We'd love to have fun together but I'd feel sorry for Dawn if she was forced into the spotlight, cos she hates the attention. Dawn holds tight to her own life, she still works and she's enjoying herself.

T.P.: Any sign of wedding bells?

G.B.: I never said I was getting married - well, not soon, anyway. I'd consider marriage - it's a long old life to be on your own - but not for three or four years yet. There's too much, way too much to do. I've too many ambitions left.

T.P.: Which ones are they then?

G.B.: In four years I'll have done a couple of albums and two tours. I'm hopefully touring in Spring '98. I'd like to find an artist, maybe a girl singer, to write songs for and produce. Ummm, but that's a future project!

T.P.: Is that a control thing?

G.B.: I want to watch someone do what Take That did, to help them. It would give me a complete buzz but I'd need to find an unbelievable talent to inspire me. I could never work with an image without talent, only 'potential'. It's not a money-making thing.

T.P.: Quite a businessman, aren't you?

G.B.: I find the business side easy. In Take That I was attentive, studying and watching what was going on every step of the way. They were my learning years, my apprenticeship.

T.P.: Do you ever feel old?


G.B.: I never feel old. Every day I feel as though I've learnt something new. I thank God for all my time in this business, cos it can be short-lived. I feel very positive about the future. Fingers crossed time, I think! Seriously.

1 comment:

  1. True Story behind #TakeThat Hit #Sure
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-odMCYJDs0&feature=youtu.be
    #HowardDonald #MarkOwen #RobbieWilliams #JasonOrange #GaryBarlow

    ReplyDelete