Saturday 23 August 2014

ARTICLES - GARY BARLOW Live & Kicking Magazine, June 1996

LnK: Why did Take That finish with a cover rather than the originally planned The Party's Over sung by Mark?

G.B.: The decision to release How Deep Is Your Love was made in connection with our Greatest Hits album before Christmas 1995. There aren't any new songs on the album, and we always liked the Bee Gees song and planned to cover it ages ago. The Party's Over is about three years old and was always meant as our swan song. We had long discussions about that! When we made the decision to split up, it was too late to bring out another single. So it just never happened.

LnK: Why were you the only one who got pushed off the cliff in the How Deep video?

G.B.: I really hated that video, I hated making it and I hated the end result. I was frozen for two whole days and I'm not at my best when I'm freezing cold! I wanted to re-shoot it but we ran out of time. The fork was quite painful and when the chair tipped backwards it really felt as if I was going! Somebody had to do it, they chose me, I'm game. I'll do anything - all my own stunts. Just call me Gary Schwarzenegger!

LnK: Why couldn't you have done a solo project within your band like other artists have done?


G.B.: To me Take That was always a five-piece. When Robbie left last summer, we were seriously considering splitting up there and then. But we gritted our teeth and decided to re-launch ourselves as a four piece. In a very short time with the added pressure of a major tour ahead. We were papering over the cracks, carrying on. It was all very positive, because we were going to the Far East, Australia, Japan and America in the autumn of 95. After all the excitement had worn off we realised, maybe Robbie was right, maybe it was time for us all to move on and do our own things.

LnK: How did you feel when you met up with Robbie at the MTV awards in Paris?

G.B.: It was strange meeting him face-to-face for the first time since he left. The only communication we had with Robbie was through our lawyers and accountants cos of his departure. It was all a bit weird, Robbie's changed a lot, he's not the same person who was in TT - I felt as if I was speaking to a stranger.


LnK: How restricting was TT for you as a songwriter and musician?

G.B.: Whether you are in a relationship or in a band you always have to make some kind of sacrifices. Personally I am very proud that I was a member of one of the most successful groups of the 90s. I learnt a lot from the other guys and it has made me a better person. But over the last year I felt creatively stifled. Writing certain types of pop songs for several voices was always restriciting. Now I'm ready to do my own thing and I'm looking forward to being in control. I just hope I don't go too far! Since I've been writing songs for my solo album, I think my piano has doubled in size!

LnK: How different is your solo album from your TT songs?

G.B.: There seems to be a huge difference to me. All the instruments you hear on every track are real. There's not an electronic keyboard in sight. It's very basic and simple in its production. I've written songs about loneliness, happiness, war and problems of the world. Up 'till now I never had had any opportunity to work on these kinds of songs.

LnK: Are you working with any other artists?

G.B.: No, definately not! I wanted to do something by myself. I've written 37 songs and had to pick out 12 to go on the album. One of the songs I wrote when I was just 16. I've got a drawer at home with my batches of song tapes. There are nine songs on every tape and I've got 28 batches, all labelled year by year since 1985. And believe it or not I can remember them all! This album was very spontaneous for me. I started writing new songs while I was still in Take That - like the first single, which I wrote on a day off during the Farewell European Tour. I've also dedicated a track called Friends to my pals Jason, Mark and Howard.

LnK: Do you have a tour planned to coincide with your first single?

G.B.: My first single is a ballad called Forever Love. It gives me the chance to be heard as a singer. You'll get the full body of my voice, no echoes just very honest sounds! The working title for the album - which is due late August/September - Open Road, although no final decisions have been made yet. Yeah I will be touring, all the dates will be announced shortly. And I feel very lucky about the US record company that I've just signed to. America is a key territory for me which I'll be concentrating more on.

LnK: What will your stage show be like now you're on your own - a bit like Elton John's perhaps?

G.B.: No, not really. I want to Rock 'n' Roll. I'm a lot younger than Elton! I'll have a live band and dancers, although I won't be dancing myself! As for the rest, that's a big secret - wait and see. I just love to perform as a musician which is what I used to do years before Take That. I don't mind if it's in front of a large or small audience, just as long as I can go out there and do it.

LnK: Will you be writing any songs for Mark, Howard or Jason?

G.B.: I've offered if they want me to, but I think they've got their own ideas up their sleeves and want to so something by themselves.

LnK: How serious are you about your girlfriend Dawn?

G.B.: It's very serious. It's the first serious relationship I've had in five years which goes to show how much the pressure has eased off. Before, I could never hold on to any relationship because I was always far too busy with the group. I hope it will lead to marriage and kids. But for the moment I want to concentrate on my solo career. I want to give it all I've got. I'm very excited, very positive and very motivated.

LnK: You mentioned that TT may get together again in about 10 years time for a reunion. Is that likely to happen?

G.B.: It'd be great for a laugh. When we're all podgy and bald from too many highlights! But I know one thing for sure, if we ever do it something will be missing. That special magic Take That had, something unexplainable, but it was definately there, for all of us and for all the fans as well....

No comments:

Post a Comment