Sunday 24 August 2014

ARTICLES - ROBBIE WILLIAMS The Press Conference Royal Lancaster Hotel, 26th June 1996

The Press Conference

Royal Lancaster Hotel, 26th June 1996


This picture was given out at the press conference along with the two statements below.

At 1 minute past midnight on 26th June 1996, Robbie held a press conference at the Royal Lancaster Hotel, London, W2. This statement was handed to the press as they entered.

"I'm here tonight to celebrate my freedom. There's been a lot of talk and speculation in the media and on the street about what has really happened since I left/was sacked from Take That.
I'd like to clear the air tonight but don't want to dwell on the past. I think I've said everything I've got to say about that chapter in my life. You've heard my new single which will be released on July 29th and it's the future that concerns me now. I'm happier than I've ever been in my life so please don't make me slag people off....but if you insist.
I've got a new family now, who've been totally supportive of me over the last few months - thank you JF and everybody at EMI/Chrysalis.To be honest with you I don't feel that I can really deal with talking about BMG and I don't want to give them any more of my time. If you've got any questions about anything else I'll be happy to answer them and my manager, Tim Abbot is here - he can fill you in a little more dispassionately about how we got to this point."

Rob's new single will be a cover version of George Michael's 'Freedom' and will be released on Chrysalis records on 29th July, just weeks after Gary releases his first ever debut single. Rumblings amongst the fans outside the hotel last night, supported the view that Robbie was barred from releasing a single until Gary had got his first one out, although this is NOT confirmed as the truth.

This statement also released to the press was named 'Proper Management'.

"Rob is delighted to announce that he has reached a settlement agreement with BMG Records (UK) Limited which leaves him free to sign a new deal with EMI/Chrysalis.The details of the Settlement Agreement with BMG are confidential.Both BMG and Rob have agreed to say no more about the breakdown in their relationship or the terms on which they have agreed to part company.These confidentiality obligations are legally binding on both sides. We hope that the members of the press and Rob's many fans will suspend their natural curiosity and that there is nothing more to be said on this topic.
As far as Rob is concerned, that is all in the past, he does not want to dwell on the negative aspects of what has been a wonderfully successful career in the music business. We are confident that Rob's success is only just beginning. Since February 26th, when he withdrew his action against BMG, until today, Rob's career has been effectively frozen, whilst other artists have been able to progress their careers.We wish all artists the best of luck and success. Rob has now won his freedom to work with a company who understands his desires and aspirations. We understand that speculations and assumptions abound, however we will honour our confidentiality obligations towards BMG. Rob Williams has shown personal resolve and determination in standing up and being counted and he should be applauded for that.May this serve as an example to all of us, and particularly the music industry. Artists are unique, passionate, emotional and individual. Let's treat them with respect and dignity. They are the stars which make the British music industry shine.

Let's make music
Fair play please
Rob Won"

No comments:

Post a Comment