Saturday 23 August 2014

ARTICLES - GARY BARLOW Smash Hits Magazine, 3rd July 1996

Giving his first interview since Take That split, Gary Barlow talks exclusively to Kate Thornton about marriage, Robbie, Take That and his future as a solo artist on the eve of his debut release.

This time last year, getting an interview with Take That was on a par with getting an audience with the Pope. Back For Good had just topped the charts and they had made the record books as the fastest selling band of all time, with three platinum albums and a list of No 1 singles to their credit. American success beckoned - with the promise of global recognition - and months of phone calls and faxes were invested in obtaining just an hour with the biggest band in Britain.

Then, on April 4th, Take That disbanded in Amsterdam and Gary immediately retreated to a London recording studio, where he has been locked away since, working on his solo material. In keeping with his character he has stayed out of the public eye - until our interview last month.

You see, one year on, things have changed with Gary Barlow. If those changes could be put into one simple sentence. I would say (and he would agree) that he has reverted back to the person he was before he embarked on a most remarkable journey with Take That.

Now that chapter of his life is closed. He is happy with his memories of those golden days, but now Gary Barlow has new plans, new goals and a suprisingly relaxed new outlook on life. That said, he is a man on a mission, with so much to prove, confident in the knowledge that he has the ability to become the biggest British recording artist of the 90s.


As a singer and songwriter, there is no-one of his generation who compares. He stands out alone in the cut-throat business in which he has not only survived, but also excelled. At just 25, Gary knows what he wants, how he wants to be perceived and who he wants to talk to. And so we meet in a restaurant in Chelsea, after a day spent working on his labours of love - a debut album, Open Road, and his first solo single, the epic ballad Forever Love (out July 8th), which is destined for No 1. I have known Gary as a friend and a colleague throughout his Take That years and have seen a side of him that's rarely on public display. It goes without saying that he is highly intelligent, but there is an eccentric side to his personality that has barely been touched upon.

He has been branded a tightwad in the past, when in fact, he is merely shrewd. "Just because I have money doesn't make me blind to the value of it" says Bargain Barlow. Only last week, he bartered for a £50 pair of jeans in Diesel and successfully knocked £10 off the asking price. "£50 for a pair of jeans - I ask you!" he shudders. And the new VW Golf he drove to our meeting (yes he drives himself these days) is brand new. "But I got it for less than the price of a secondhand car, straight off the fore court," he boasts. Even the dog food he buys for his much-loved Alsations, Jess and Jim, he claims against tax. "They're security," he explains.

Not only is Gary far from stupid, he's also funny, a brilliant conversationalist and more than able to laugh at himself. Wise beyond his years, ambitious like no other, but still able to keep his head out of the clouds. It is a curious and attractive combination.

As he saunters into the restaurant, looking svelte, dressed casually in jeans and trainers, he is still carrying the same old tatty leather bumbag he's carried around the world for six years. "Don't start on me, you," he laughs as I eye the offending item. "One of the straps has ripped so I'm going to get my old lady to sew it up," he sighs, producing a packet of Marlboro Lights and lighting up. As we are shown to our table, Gary leans over and whispers. "Ere, it's a bit posh here. They'd better do chips. You know how much I love my chip butties."

Unfortunately neither chips nor butties are on the menu. Despite what must have been a testing six months, Gary is on great form, at last comfortable in his own shoes as he prepares to walk into the next phase of his life, which will undoubtedly be the most challenging. We had agreed on two rules, for our interview, which is being reproduced in full: firstly, no question can go unanswered, and secondly, he must at all times be completely honest with his responses. What you are about to read is the most revealing and truthful account of the man they used to call 'the fat one with bad hair who stands at the back.'

K.T.: What's been the most fundamental change in your character since the split?

G.B.: There's a funny nervous side to me that's started to grow. I was working with my new band last week and when I had to play the piano with them, I felt really embarrassed because they were top and I just twiddle away. I was really paranoid and I had a bit of a rash going on my chest. Then the backing singers started singing and I thought, "Oh my God! They're really good." When it came to my turn to sing, I was really out of tune, really flat. It's because I'm nervous. I've been nervous about everything I've done as a solo artist; the photo shoot, recording...even this interview. I just want everything to be right.

K.T.: What's the gameplan then?

G.B.: Very simple, actually. When I'm faced with a decision, I think, "What would I have done in Take That in this situation?" and I do the complete opposite! I need to get away from Take That - it was part of me for six years and I love change and challenge.

K.T.: You say that, but you're really a creature of habit.

G.B.: In my personal life, I am - and that's totally different from my professional life. In my career, I love change because professionally I've got nothing to lose. I don't depend on making money from this album, so I'm writing for me now. With Take That, I'd write a song and then someone would come in and shape it to fit the market. There's none of that now. What you'll be hearing on this album is pure me. It's very honest and that's what it's about for me. At the end of the day, I'm quite a good singer and quite a good songwriter and I want to be heard for what I am. It'll be the same with my live shows. I'm very nervous about performing live, because I can't hide at the back of Everything Changes. All eyes are on me. I've got to really compose myself now and make sure that I deliver the business.

K.T.: But how have you changed as a person?

G.B.: I've come back to who I was six years ago. For me, there was life before Take That - I didn't join straight from school. I served a very big apprenticeship for this job, working the clubs - and I'm back to being a solo artist again. I'm more organised now than ever. Before, I could think, "Howard's going to get out of bed this morning, so I'm going to lie here for another hour." I've got no excuse for being late now. If I don't get up, nothing gets done. I've got to motivate myself - and that's hard!

K.T.: But you are a very motivated person, so why's it hard?

G.B.: In a way, I am. I mean, I'm not into taking six months off or anything. I love my job and I'd be bored shitless if I was doing nothing, I mean, what would I do? What are my hobbies?

K.T.: Interior Design......

G.B.: Yeah, but you can only do that every so often and it's an expensive hobby. I work because I love it. The last six months in Take That were a braindead scenario for me because we weren't breaking new ground....

K.T.: So who decided?

G.B.: We all decided.

K.T.: But who was the first to mention it?

G.B.: I was the one who first brought it up, before it was announced. We were at a hotel in London and I just said: "I'm really bored everybody. I think this is the time - we're at the peak of our careers."

K.T.: Who did you say it to?

G.B.: All of them - but Mark responded first. He said, 'I'm glad you said that.' So we all decided that we wanted it to stop, and it was just a case of saying to Nigel, 'How do we make it stop?'

K.T.: How did Nigel respond?

G.B.: The first thing he said was, 'It's too early.' I said, 'How can it be too early?' Do you know what I mean? When we were at the Smash Hits Awards last year. I said to Mark, 'We can't be here next year.' Every band on that stage looked, sounded or danced like us. And I just wanted out because we'd done all we could. The bubble was going to burst - and we were going to end up with shit all over our faces.

K.T.: Looking back, how do you view Jason, Howard, Mark and Robbie's roles in the band?

G.B.: It changed so often. When the band started, I was the only one who could sing, but I truly believe it was one of those 'meant to be' situations. It was all too coincidental. I mean, all of a sudden, Robbie developed this voice - and when Robbie sang, he really sang. It used to give me goose pimples.

K.T.: So you think Robbie's a good singer?

G.B.: He's a great singer, and when he puts his mind to it, he gets it spot on. That was a bit of a worry for me, because I knew he could be the best singer in the band. But he never worked at it, so he never was. He could have been, though, very easily.

K.T.: Did you ever encourage him to improve his vocals?

G.B.: I don't think anyone could ever encourage Robbie. He was always his own person , though I tried to encourage him. I stepped back to let Robbie sing Could It Be Magic and songs like that, but I was still a bit camera shy even then. I didn't like that thing of being the lead singer, I didn't want to be. I just wanted to be a member of the group. When I first joined Take That, there was a bit of snobbery attached, like (screwing up his nose), "What am doing here with these boys who can't really do anything?" And I hated the dance side of it. But after our first hit, we'd bonded so much that I loved the dancing because I wanted to be doing the same things as the lads. Then, all of a sudden, I realised that Howard has this great musical brain and he could harmonise brilliantly, which was a relief because no-one else could at that point. And Mark was just really keen. He'd go for singing lessons for the rest of his life, you know (laughs affectionately). And it just went from there - everyone showed that they really could get involved and eventually Howard and Mark started writing songs. But I was far ahead of them for it to have been a democracy. I was coming in with songs like Back For Good and Howard was coming in with songs like Crazy Chance. Do you know what I mean? They weren't hits and we always put the best stuff on the albums.

K.T.: Did it ever cause resentment, though?

G.B.: I didn't think so, until I read what Robbie's been saying about us, and obviously he resented me a hell of a lot.

K.T.: Do you think it was only Robbie who was resentful?

G.B.: I do actually, yeah.

K.T.: So, looking back, how influential were the others in the success of Take That in comparison to you?

G.B.: Hugely. Everyone loves or likes a member of Take That and every single member is a star in their own right. Everyone feels they know Take That like they know the next door neighbour. We always let everybody in - there was never a front with us in our interviews.

K.T.: Do you think you did though? There is certainly a side of you that the public doesn't know....

G.B.: No, I think we did. It's like saying if I met you for the first time tonight and we talked for four hours, we wouldn't talk about things as two best friends. But because I know you this is different. So actually what we revealed to the public was how we would be with people we'd just met, because usually we had only just met our interviewers. It was just suface talk, because you just don't reveal your innermost secrets to people you hardly know. Who wants to do that? I actually think that what people saw of us was very real.

K.T.: So it wasn't a myth created for you?

G.B.: I love that, I love that analogy of us because it makes us sound so bloody clever (laughing). Our plan and strategy were so day-by-day. We were the most dreadfully unorganised business, I promise you, but very lucky. I always wrote records like Back For Good and Pray at the right time.

K.T.: Do you think you would have succeeded without Take That?

G.B.: I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Take That. Definately not. Had I had the kind of success we had, as a solo artist, I would have been the most unbearable person you've ever met....

K.T.: Why?

G.B.: Because I wanted the fame too much. I wanted to be a star too much.

K.T.: But doesn't that contradict the camera-shy person you talked about earlier?

G.B.: No. Because when I joined the band, I knew within six months that it wasn't actually fame I wanted. I wanted the music side back. I joined the music business thinking it was all about music when actually 10% of it is about music. The promotion and all that stuff is my compromise because that's the bit I hate. My joy is to write and record music, but it's good to have that compromise, because wouldn't it be totally unbearable if you had everything you wanted all the time? You'd be a horrible person.

K.T.: But wasn't there ever a time when you did become affected by it all?

G.B.: Probably many times, many times. Yeah I lost it a few times - but I never went so far that I couldn't get it back again. Looking back now, there are many times when I could have gone down that route. Like when I first became wealthy. I had people working in my house (a housekeeper no less) - and I just wouldn't do that now. It's all just too pop star-y...

K.T.: So you believed the myth for a while?

G.B.: I did. When I first started touring, I'd sit in the bar and down six straight Jack Daniels whiskies every night and I'd love it. (Laughing) Oh yeah, I was hardcore. I really went for it, and it's so easy to become a part of all that. I'm just so glad I came out the other end.

K.T.: What saved you from that?

G.B.: The other boys. They never needed to say anything - you know what the lads are like.. How can you not be yourself with the lads? With someone like Howard, who's not changed a single note? It's people like that who are so important.

K.T.: Do you think having an enormous amount of success as a solo artist will send you back to that or change you?

G.B.: I don't think it will be the success, or lack of it, that'll change me. I'm quite prepared to never have the success Take That had ever again.

K.T.: So you're prepared for you singles not to go straight in at No 1?

G.B.: Definately. I could never compete with the success of Take That, because we were just phenomenally successful....

K.T.: So what are you expecting? I mean, you know Forever Love is going to go in at No 1.

G.B.: I don't know that it is, though. I really don't know.

K.T.: Do you think it's the best song you've ever written?

G.B.: No.

K.T.: So then why are you releasing it?

G.B.: Because it's the best song I've got at the moment. I'm sure I'm going to write better songs. But it's the most honest song that I've written.

K.T.: What inspired you to write it?

G.B.: Many things, at the time. Obviously, I'd fallen in love by then (Gary's been seeing dancer Dawn Andrews since she performed on the last Take That tour), which I've never done before. And I think that we, as Take That, were the happiest we'd been as a foursome - we were so close. That business with Robbie really pulled us together and my love for the lads doubled, because they were so strong. Everyone misses the things I saw, everyone assumes that we just cast Robbie aside and left him - but we were always very sensible and all the people who know us will know that Take That were far too sensible to sack a member of the group two weeks before a major UK tour. We were under very unfortunate circumstances and everybody pulled through, though we didn't think we could.

K.T.: When did you write Forever Love?

G.B.: When we came off tour in November. It's a very innocent song because it's not a love song about someone you've loved for five years. It was sort of like...it wasn't even a love song about me being in love. I just knew that love was on its way. I knew it was coming, that it was going to find me. It's not just about being in love with one person - it's about being in love with people I've worked with. I'm so lucky, because after six years of major success and all that, I'm dead happy. Not only on a personal level, but because I'm so unscarred by the business - and who can say that? I'm glad to have done every millimetre of the last six years. I've no regrets.

K.T.: Describe a typical day in your life now?

G.B.: It's very relaxed. I record from about 11am to 7pm, go home and maybe go out for dinner or watch the telly. See what I mean? I never used to watch telly - and now I'm really up on Coronation Street! Get this: I buy 40 CDs a month and 25 videos and I watch and listen to all of them.

K.T.: That's not like you. You used to be locked in your studio until all hours.

G.B.: That's what I mean. I'm really in it for the enjoyment now, not just to be a workaholic. I've found enjoyment outside of work. I love reading and I never used to read before - I like fashion and photography. I'm enjoying things that I've never enjoyed before. I'm growing up.

K.T.: When you perform live, do you think fans will be disappointed that you won't be dancing about anymore?

G.B.: No, I think they'll be relieved!

K.T.: So what have you got to offer that we haven't already seen in Take That?

G.B.: I don't know why people enjoy what I do. I play piano and sing a few songs - and that's about as exciting as I want to get. If I was to put on a massive stage show, it would be living in the past. I'm just a musician. I'm not a performer like Robbie, who can blow a crowd away - the people who come to my shows will have to bring a good book!

K.T.: Who are you hoping to appeal to?

G.B.: No-one and everyone. If my audience are all two-year olds, then lovely. And if they're 97, that's great, too. I just want people to enjoy my music - and that's all, really.

K.T.: How much control do you have over your career now? Would it be fair to say you manage yourself?

G.B.: Yeah. Management is like...well, how long is a piece of string? At the moment, I'm running and the office are half a mile behind me, but if I go too far, they pick me up and bring me back in. In the beginning, we were totally dependent on Nigel, but we've since learnt a lot and I know where I want to go now. If it goes wrong, I'm prepared to say I was wrong. I want to be in control - because only I know where it's going because I know what I'm capable of.

K.T.: If you would compare yourself to anybody who would it be?

G.B.: Sting. What I'm doing now is more like his early solo stuff - it's a bit jazzy, and so is my album.

K.T.: Why is breaking America so important to you?

G.B.: It's not America, it's just wanting to break untouched territory. I'm not bored with Britain-I'm very patriotic.

K.T.: You're not- you'd do anything to avoid a bit of tax!

G.B.: Get out of it! (Laughs) My music is very British and I think it should be heard in America because it's very drab out there.

K.T.: Who are your friends?

G.B.: Howard, at the moment - he won't leave me alone! (Laughing) I can't get rid of him - nah. I don't mean that. He's coming down to London a lot, writing and stuff, and I tell you, Howard is the best friend anyone could wish for. We speak to each other most days.

K.T.: What sort of things do you do together?

G.B.: Go for dinner, listen to music, go clubbing. I don't mind a bit of clubbing, even though I don't like dancing on stage. I do like a dance in a club. I find the darkest corner and do my running man dance, which is basically jogging on the spot!. Oh aye...and a bit of moonwalking. Beautiful.

K.T.: When did you start writing the album?

G.B.: When the band split. I had 17 songs for the next Take That album and there was some really good stuff there, so I've held on to some of it. Then I spent a week at home writing and came up with another 20 songs. So a third of the album is material that I wrote for Take That - and the rest I wrote for myself.

K.T.: What's the inspiration behind the songs?

G.B.: It's not like a train or bus ride inspires me. I just lie in bed and something comes to me so I get up and write it down, that'll happen a couple of times during the night - and that's when I realise I'm ready to write. The other thing is my hands. They move themsleves. And when I put them on a keyboard, they play chords that I've never heard before and make nice sounds. It'll literally just warble over that - that's how my songs arrive.

K.T.: But don't you write with specific people in mind? You wrote Nobody Else about your mum and dad...

G.B.: I feel like a pretty well-lived person at 25 and I actually prefer to write about things rather that people, because I get really hurt when people like producers, start fiddling with them or criticise them. I'm like, 'How dare you say that?! Don't you realise that this is about my best friend?!'

K.T.: What would you do now if it all went horribly wrong and the album only went in at No. 35? Wouldn't that depress you?

G.B.: No. I've got nothing to lose. If my albums go in at 35, then that'll do me. As long as I can still keep writing and recording. My ultimate dream is to not really be anybody, just to write songs in my bedroom for other people to perform. They can go out there and be mithered all day!

K.T.: Is that really what you want?

G.B.: Eventually. This is just another phase in my life, and when the time comes for me to have children, I don't want their dad to by flying around the world never seeing them.

K.T.: Are children something you think about?

G.B.: I really, really long for children. And if I was the first to have kids in the band, you'd find the others following very quickly - and they'd all be really jealous.

K.T.: Will children happen sooner rather than later for you?

G.B.: Well it won't happen in the next two years, I don't think because of my commitments to my career.

K.T.: Last time we spoke, children weren't something you were sure you wanted....

G.B.: I'm really, really sure now. I do want to be a dad.

K.T.: Do you want to get married as well?

G.B.: I won't have children until I've bought into the marriage thing - only because my upbringing was perfect. I've never seen a couple so happy as my mum and dad. I went into their bedroom on Christmas morning and they were in bed kissing, it was really horrible. I went "Ohhh stop it, it's 'orrible!" But later, even though it was horrible to watch - you know, seeing my dad with his false teeth out kissing my mum - I thought: how lovely is that, especially after 31 years of marriage. That to me, is a result of success.

K.T.: Do you think that, in Dawn, you've found the right person to marry?

G.B.: Oh yes, Dawn's the right person to marry, because she's such a lovely person. I'll review it when the time comes....

K.T.: What do you mean 'review it'? Either you know or you don't...

G.B.: At the moment, it's circumstances. I haven't got the time to give anybody the time they need in a marriage, and neither has she - so marriage is unspoken of. Also, we haven't known each other that long and we're still quite young.

K.T.: How did you manage to keep your relationship with Dawn so quiet?

G.B.: You know, I was surprised at how slow you lot were, because I kept nothing secret! There was no hiding people in the boot of cars, none of that because at that stage I wasn't bothered. I was sick to death of hiding people away.

K.T.: Is it something you did a lot?

G.B.: Oh, a hell of a lot.

K.T.: Did you resent having to do it?

G.B.: No, because it was important to our careers. We were seen as available pop stars and it worked. But you know, when I saw our pictures in the paper my first thought was for her, not "Oh shit my career!", because I don't think it actually matters that much. If it was anybody else, I'd think of them, too, because I get paid very well for this - but what does she get out of it?

K.T.: So how did you meet her?

G.B.: I met Dawn about five years ago on my first video shoot (Gary was know the Cutest Rush then!). Then I met her at Royal Variety Performances, at the Brits when she danced for us, and then on the last tour. It was like, "Well, here you are again, dancing with us."

K.T.: Had you ever been attracted to her before?

G.B.: Yeah. The first time I met her, I couldn't help but be. But I never went into it thinking "You're going to be my girlfriend". It was just, "You're very attractive and I'd definately like to get to know you." And then I just fell in love with her, with her personality and her shyness and her beauty. And maybe I'd met people in the past that I could have fallen in love with ... but I couldn't.

K.T.: So when you met Dawn did you know Take That was coming to an end and you could devote time to her?

G.B.: No. None of the moves or decisions I made were conscious. I just thought "This feels really great and I'm going to go where my heart is telling me".

K.T.: Are you living with Dawn?

G.B.: Kind of. We're with each other all the time, so I suppose we do. It's strange because it's something I thought I'd never do, but it feels totally, totally, natural.

K.T.: So you didn't think you'd ever meet someone and feel like this?

G.B.: No. But I really wanted to - and not it's happened, it's really blown me off my feet!

K.T.: How has it changed you?

G.B.: Entirely. I never thought that anything could give me the buzz that music does, but I get that from her, and that frightens me.

K.T.: Why? Haven't you been in love before?

G.B.: No, I thought I had, but I know now that I haven't.

K.T.: Has Dawn helped you over these difficult past few months?

G.B.: Yeah, It's made me fall in love with her even more because she's been so good and there have been times when we've fallen to pieces. Me and Dawn happened at the right time because there was all that Robbie business going on and that upset us alot- the fact that it came to that....

K.T.: Did it really upset you, though, because you're a very black and white person...?

G.B.: I am because I don't show my emotions a lot, but that really upset me - and it continues to upset me.

K.T.: Do you think that you and Rob could ever be friends again?

G.B.: Listen, I'm here. When he turns back into the Rob I knew and loved, I'll be here again, if he ever hits rock bottom, or if he ever wants anything, then i'd give it to him and I hold my hand on my heart when I say that. He was my friend for five years and I really loved him. And do you know what? What I really want him to do is make a hit record. I want to hear him sing and give me goose pimples like he used to. Robbie's the best performer in Take That, honest to God. If people were to see him on stage, he'd blow them away.

K.T.: Do you think it's too late for him now?

G.B.: No. If Robbie waited two years, it wouldn't be too late because he's just so good that no matter what he's done, his talent will outshine it all.

K.T.: Has it left you distrustful after someone so close to you has spoken so publicly against you?

G.B.: It's more disbelief - even now, I can't believe some of the things he's said. He's spoken such rubbish. I mean, I'm sorry, but that piece in Smash Hits where he was going on about being a 'prisoner' what the hell was all that about? Ring someone at Strangeways and ask them if being in a pop band is like being in prison. Alright Rob, you've had a bad time since you left, but people are out there digging roads - and they've been doing it all their life. He's got the world at his feet. We invested a lot in Rob. When he joined the group he was overweight and he couldn't learn the dance routines, but we stood by him, we helped him and we've been nothing but faithful. It makes me feel like we've missed something, like it's been a dream. I mean, I can't count the times I've been holding my sides because I can't laugh anymore because of Rob.

K.T.: Do you never get the urge to just call him?

G.B.: No. He's a bit of a time bomb at the moment, an the last thing he needs is me ringing him up. When the time's right, we'll meet again. Definately.

K.T.: How was it meeting up with him at the MTV Awards in Paris?

G.B.: He was really nice to us and I was made up, on a real high. But then he threw it all back in our faces. Am I being honest enough?

K.T.: I think so. So what do you feel about Mark's decision to leave Nigel?

G.B.: Mark had to make a move because when Nigel started the band, it was made around me. Nigel's a business man and he knows that the money's in me. Mark's absolutely right - he's way down the list of importance because he's never been that close to Nigel. He listened to a lot, especially Jason. But he's come into his own in the last six months, and Mark needs a friend to talk to as much as a manager. And he's got that in his new manager...

K.T.: How do you feel about competing with Mark?

G.B.: I'll never be competing with Mark. I'm not in it for the commercial success and if Mark does better than me, then I'm dead happy.Let's face it, we're all here because of the success of the band and Mark is a loveable person. People just fall in love with him becasue he's so lovely. Everything you've ever read about Mark is true: he's definately the nicest person you could ever meet.

K.T.: How did you feel the morning you flew back into London alone after Take That's last performance?

G.B.: Very relieved. We did a silly thing not splitting up the day we annoucned the split. We shouldn't have done three months promotions afterwards, because it was boring for us. We were like, "What's this doing for us?" O.K, we were generating millions of record sales, but it was past being good for business. We just wanted to be free of it all - and we were more trapped than ever... We were absolutely bored shitless on that last day. We'd all had time to think about what we wanted to do next and we juts wanted to get on with it. Flying back that morning was like breathing new air.

K.T.: Were you ever emotional about it?

G.B.: Yeah, about a week ago, and it lasted a week. I thought "Oh God - what've we thrown away here?" But we will always have times like that because we were out there doing it and now we're not.

K.T.: What do you miss most?

G.B.: The company.

K.T.: Have you cried?

G.B.: No. It's not a thing to cry about - we finished at the top and will be remembered as a very successful band.

K.T.: What do you remember most about that last night?

G.B.: Not a lot. (Laughing) It was a bit of a blur. I went to Howard's room at the end of the night and he was sitting there talking about what he was going to do, and I remember thinking "I really want to catch that spinning bed - I'm gonna catch it next time it comes around!"

K.T.: But there was a time that night when you all went into a room alone together. What exactly did you do?

G.B.: We took last pictures of us all laughing, we signed each other's books and we had a really good chat. It was lovely....

K.T.: Will you stay in touch?

G.B.: Definately. Like I say, I can't get rid of Howard! And I went for dinner with Mark the other night, and it was a pleasure seeing him. And Jay's disappeared - he had his last shave back in Amsterdam, so he's off on holiday somewhere - being hairy.

K.T.: So what's is all about for you now?

G.B.: Great songs. That's all it's ever been about for me and it always will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment