Sunday 24 August 2014

ARTICLES - ROBBIE WILLIAMS TFI Friday, CH4 UK, April 1996

Robbie on TFI Friday 
TFI Friday, CH4 UK, April 1996

Rob:- Evening Chris, evening Nigel and the boys.
Chris Evans:- Hair pie Robbie

Rob:- No thanks, I've just had my Slimfast - I'm alright.

Chris Evans:- You've just had your Slimfast

Rob:-Yeah

Chris Evans:- You've got a thing about your weight at the moment haven't you?

Rob:- Yeah, well, yeah. I came into rehearsals before and I saw... there was a side shot and I thought I've got to keep my hand...can we go back to that camera...I'm gonna keep my hand there for all that.


Chris Evans:- We can just stay on that camera if you like

Rob:- Triple, triple chins.

Chris Evans:- It's not how you look, it's who you are, Rob.

Rob:- It's what's inside and not what's outside that counts.

Chris Evans:- You're in the mood to talk aren't you, so let's talk. Did Take That split up because you were going to spill the beans on them in court?

Rob:- I don't know. I've read in many different things that that was the case but, would I do something like that. I mean would I! (Laughing).........I MIGHT!

Chris Evans:- Were you going to spill the beans on them then?

Rob:- There was nothing to spill, the dispute wasn't about me and Take That, it was about me and the record company, but see the the thing is....I love the boys.

(CROWD:- Ahhhhhhh)

Rob:- You bunch of soft gits!!

Chris Evans:- Did you stop Take That releasing the Greatest Hits?

Rob:- I wanna put something right there, it wasn't because I was stopping anything coming out. It was just erm....I sung on all the greatest hits (smiling) so I just wanted to see what was going in the album and what the art design was all about.

Chris Evans:- They said that you were causing problems with bring out the Greatest Hits album, is that right?

Rob:- (whispering and joking) yes.

Chris Evans:- Top work, Rob. Top work!

Rob:- It's a bit daft really cos I've got the royalites to come out of it.

Chris Evans:- You've got a lot of royalties to come in from it, half a million quid (pounds) I believe.

Rob:- Is that right? Don't believe what you read....it's a million!

Chris Evans:- Are they stopping you from bringing out a single?

Rob:- Due to things I can't talk about for legal reason - yes they are (joke). No it's not anything to do with Take That. Do you know what it always worries me about coming on to tv programmes, but what really worries me is when my lawyer turns up at interviews with me! .....

Chris Evans:- Can someone give Rob's lawyer a large whiskey

Rob:- Its ok I'm not going to say anything about the record company (to his lawyer at the back of the audience).

Chris Evans:- Can you tell us why you are being stopped from releasing a record.

Rob:- Cos I haven't recorded anything... I'm joking, I'm joking. I've been in the studio and written about 30 songs... I can't actually say why I'm having troubles.

Chris Evans:- I don't want you to say anything you could get into trouble for. Can I say why you can't bring a single out?

Rob:- Chris, it's up to you.

Chris Evans:- Nahh

(CROWD:- Booooh)

Chris Evans:- What we'll do is take legal advice on that from your lawyer and in part two if he says it's alright I'll tell you. Ok What did your open letter in the Sun say yesterday?

Rob:- It just said 'Why don't we get together and do a show ...do it for charity and give something to the fans' cos you see I feel a bit agrieved that I didn't have a proper ending when I left Take That (I don't want to come over all Bros though!)

Chris Evans:- That rhymes, put that in a song.

Rob:- Actually, I have! but I want to say thank you very much to the people that put me there and say goodbye.

Chris Evans:- You did it very publicly either a) because they wouldn't talk to you or b) because you wanted to get publicity....which one?

Rob:- Well you see Robbie as a character is an absolute tabloid maniac anyway so I don't need my profile rising in anyway. I didn't do it for a publicity stunt. I asked John Preston, the guy at their record company... Did I say their? The guy at the record company .

Chris Evans:- It's supposed to be your record company.

Rob:- The guy at the record company and I don't think he put it to them so I wanted to do it publicly anyway because ..... I just wanted to!

Chris Evans:- What did they say in the reply last night that they issued?

Rob:- I don't know, the gist was that there was only one reason and that is, that their manager doesn't like me. (To the camera) But we are bigger than that aren't we boys?

Chris Evans:- There were a couple of quotes from Gary and Jason and Nigel Martin-Smith. Is it true that he is still sending you invoices, charging you for his services?

Rob:- The thing is he hates me but he loves taking my money off me.

Chris Evans:- Can you fire him as a manager or can't you do that?

Rob:- I've got a new manager who I love and trust dearly it's Tim Abbott and my contract ran out with ....erm......(pretending to forget his name)......Nigel last year.

Chris Evans:- But he's still sending you invoices, is that true?

Rob:- Yeah, but I've got a lawyer that deals with all that.

Chris Evans:- Ok, I don't want to get you into trouble.

Rob:- No I'm not getting into trouble. Should I pay? (to the crowd) Should I pay?

(CROWD:- Noooooo)

Rob:- I'll take you all out for a round after if I don't have to pay.

Chris Evans:- It's free in here anyway you fool. Let me ask you how you feel about Nigel Martin-Smith?

Rob:- There's not a lot I could say about Nigel ...(picking up a knife and stabbing the table!) I love the guy!

Chris Evans:- What do you thing about Gary Barlow, because he said something yesterday that wasn't very nice?

Rob:- Yeah the funny thing was right, he said ..'When I saw Robbie at the MTV awards last time he'd changed and he wasn't the same person we knew, his hair was different and his ears had grown.' Its like your hair grows but your ears always stays the same!

Chris Evans:- Gary said 'Robbie hurt us and until now we were afraid to say ..Robbie you're a dickhead'. How do you feel about that statement?

Rob:- ......Well.....I Am!!!

Chris Evans:- Do you thing they have been advised to say certain things? I mean Jason Orange said ' It's a cheap trick to gain sympathy and public support'. So how you feel about Gary, Mark, Jason and Howard now?

Rob:- It's obvious that if you are dictated and conditioned to a certain regime you are going to carry on with the same things and the boys bless them don't know anything different to what they are in.

Chris Evans:- Do you still think that they are being told what to say?

Rob:- I don't believe there is someone saying 'you say this and you say that' but there is someone guiding them around it.

Chris Evans:- Bearing in mind all that has happened do you regret (Rob pretends to cry) leaving Take That when you did?

Rob:- No, I didn't leave, I was sacked

Chris Evans:- It doesn't matter how you left but would you have prefered to have done a farewell tour?

Rob:- I would have love to have done the tour, I was going to leave at Christmas.

Chris Evans:- So you're still happy that you left?

Rob:- I couldn't be more happier than I am now. I'm doing my own thing. I am writing my own stuff. I can shag birds!

Chris Evans:- You're in love at the moment... with Jacqui

Rob:- (looking uneasy) I'm shagging my girlfriend.

Chris Evans:- I thought I'd better mention that. So good luck anyway, we have got to rap up now because we have already run over time - what are you going to do next?

Rob:-There's going to be singles out....I'm going to be in films...I've got my own line of clothes.....I'm painting and decorating.....and everything I just said apart from the music is lies!!

Chris Evans:- Robbie Williams everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment